Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase
"Recognizing the involvement, dedication, and passion of Minnesota's dairy youth."
2014 First Place Dairy Showcase
- August 24, 2014 - Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul
- New time! 11 a.m. - AgStar Arena, Brunch at 10 a.m. - AgStar Arena
- General news release (798 KB PDF)
- Individual news releases
Brady Enquist, Mikayla Erf, James Gathje, Ethan Groos, Lauren Hendel, Jacob Hornberg, Taylor Jirousek, Haely Leiding, Kayla Leiding, Andrew Krause, Audrey Lane, Tanner Morrison, Lacey Nelson, Eryn Orth, Emily Pieper, Lukas Pierson, Isabella Portner, Sarah Post, Sierra Swanson, Travis Troendle, Amy Jo Vander Wal, Bernice Vander Wal, Caleb Vinkemeier, Carley Vinkemeier
A joint sponsorship of Minnesota 4-H and
Minnesota Livestock Breeders' Association
Who can participate?
State fair 4-H dairy cattle exhibitors who receive a purple or blue ribbon in their class will qualify for the Showcase. Points will be earned for their involvement and success with the state fair interview process, dairy project bowl, dairy judging contest and showmanship. Youth will also complete an online leadership portfolio that awards points in the areas of 4-H and dairy industry involvement and leadership, along with community, school or church involvement. The portfolios will be judged by a panel of anonymous judges. All of these things will be compiled in a scorecard format and the top 25 applicants will be announced Saturday evening following the dairy show.
What if I'm selected?
If you are selected as one of the top 25, you will be recognized on the Sunday of Livestock Weekend at an event recognizing you, while also celebrating the Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase! Selected youth will receive a monetary award as a thank you for being part of our industry's bright future! The amount of each monetary award will be based on a sliding scale, determined by the total amount of money donated during the year.
What is the leadership portfolio?
The easy-to-complete online leadership portfolio will ask about involvement and leadership in the dairy industry, 4-H, community, church and school. Two brief questions will give youth the opportunity to share what they have learned in the dairy project this past year and goals for the upcoming year. The 2015 leadership profile worksheet will be available here before the state fair. Computers will be on hand at the fair for participants who can't complete the portfolio before they arrive.
Are there any limitations?
There is no age limit. All 4-H state fair dairy exhibitors are eligible and encouraged to apply, as long as their animal has received a purple or blue ribbon in their respective class that year and they value the experiences the dairy industry has offered them. There is no limit to the number of times a 4-Her can be recognized in the Showcase.
- 2014 Informational Memo - posted July 3, 2014
- 2014 Leadership profile application worksheet PDF (39 K) | MS-Word (264 K) posted July 14, 2014
- 2014 Scorecard (100 K) posted July 14, 2014
- Online leadership Portfolio - use this link to complete the online leadership profile, posted in late July of the 4-H year. After you have completed the form (but before you submit), you will be given the opportunity to print your submission for your records. If you have any difficulties with the online leadership profile, please contact Karen Nelson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bradley W Rugg
Fairs & animal science programs director, Extension Center for Youth Development
Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase committee co-chair
Minnesota 4-H Dairy Showcase committee finance chair
Other dairy showcase steering committee members: