Minnesota 4-H conducts camps all year long at various locations. Most camps are held in the summer. At camp, youth can work on projects they are already doing or start new ones.
4-H campers have the same high-quality, hands-on learning experiences that they have in clubs, events or fairs, but can spend more time on them. Activities are designed to develop a greater awareness, understanding and appreciation of nature and our relationship to it.
Camps may vary in length from day-long to two-week adventures in locations close to nature. Activities and themes vary by camp location.
Who can participate?
All youth are welcome. You do not need to be a 4-H member to attend. Age requirements vary by camp. Non 4-H members will need to complete a short-term enrollment form and turn it in with registration materials.
Information about 4-H camping events in 2015 will be posted as we receive it. Camps are listed below, as much as possible, in the order they'll take place. This information will also be posted on individual county Extension office pages.
PICCKM Regional Camp (Pine, Isanti, Chisago, Carlton, Kanabec & Mille Lacs)
Experience the fun and excitement of 4-H Regional Summer Camp! At camp, youth will sing silly camp songs, sleep in cabins, enjoy a s'more at campfire, go swimming, make awesome crafts, and so much more.
- Who: Youth grades 4 - 8.
- Where: Norway Point Campgrounds, St. Croix State Park
- When: Monday, June 22 at 6 p.m. to Wednesday, June 24 at 5 p.m.
- Cost: $85
- Registration deadline: June 10
- Contact: University of Minnesota Extension, Brainerd Regional Office
Camp Benton is an overnight camp beaming with activities! A new theme every year, to be determined for 2015. Like always at Camp Benton there will be games, recreation, dancing, swimming, campfires, skits, canoeing, adventures and more.
- Who: Camp 1: Grades 3-5; Camp 2: Grades 6-8
- Where: Sherburne County Camp, Sand Dunes State Forest, Big Lake/Zimmerman
Camp 1: Monday, July 6 to Wednesday, July 8. (Buses depart from the Benton County Extension office in Foley at 10:15 on July 6 and return at 1:15 on July 8.)
Camp 2: Wednesday, July 8 to Friday, July 10. (Buses depart from the Benton County Extension office in Foley at 10:15 on July 8 and return at 1:15 on July 10.)
- Cost: $75
- Registration deadline: June 26
- Contact: Benton County Extension office
Shooting Sports and Wildlife Camp
Explore the disciplines of the MN 4-H Shooting Sports and Wildlife Program with certified instructors in Archery, Air Rifle, Air Pistol or BB Gun and Wildlife. Camp may also include Canoe/Paddleboard/Kayaks, Swimming, Fishing, ATV Safety and 4-H Camp fun! Hours at camp will count as on-line training and wildlife hours for eligibility at the MN 4-H State Shooting Sports and Wildlife Invitational.
- Who: Youth who have just completed 3 - 8 grades
- Where: Lake Bronson State Park
- When: Thursday, July 30 at 10 a.m. to Friday, July 31 at 3 p.m.
- Cost: $60
- Registration deadline: June 1
- Contact: Sandi Weiland, Roseau County 4-H program coordinator and shooting sports & wildlife camp director, firstname.lastname@example.org - 218-463-1052, or Margo Bowerman, Extension educator, email@example.com - 218-281-8695.
Our theme this year is "Call of the Wild."
- Who: Youth in grades 3 through 5 (and new and returning counselors)
- Where: Faith Haven Bible Camp, Battle Lake
- When: Monday, August 17 - Tuesday, August 18
- Registration deadline: August 10
- Contact: Tammy Nordick, firstname.lastname@example.org - 218-998-8760
Camp counselor training is designed to provide the skills and knowledge to be an effective camp counselor and leadership team member. Training topics include: role of camp counselor, theme and program development, recreation leadership, group facilitation, conflict resolution, outdoor environment and nature programming, and much more. More Info
- Dates vary by county and region. Check with your county offices for dates and locations.
4-H plays a pivotal role in youth development and public education at the Minnesota State Fair. Over 7,000 4-H youth have the opportunity to interact with the public and educate fairgoers through 4-H exhibits, demonstrations, performances, and 4-H promotion. More info
Beginning to learn about camping:
- Outdoor Adventures 1 - Hiking Trails ($4.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Some experience with this project:
- Outdoor Adventures 2 - Camping Adventures ($4.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Looking for a challenge:
- Outdoor Adventures 3 - Backpacking Expeditions ($4.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
Project leader resources
- Outdoor Adventures - Helper's Guide ($4.95 Find this in the 4-H Mall)
- Outdoor Adventures - Set of 4 ($19.50 Find this in the 4-H Mall
Other online resources
Rebecca Meyer, email@example.com, 1-888-241-0724 (ext. 6467)