4-H camp counselor training
Camp counselor training is designed to provide the skills and knowledge to be an effective camp counselor and leadership team member. Training topics include: role of camp counselor, theme and program development, recreation leadership, group facilitation, conflict resolution, outdoor environment and nature programming, and much more.
- Dates vary by county and region. If you don't see your region/county listed below, check with your county office for dates and locations.
Who can attend?
4-H youth intending to be residential or day camp counselors targeting first-year counselors and/or advanced or returning counselor training designed to support their counselor and camping program needs. Youth need to be 8th grade or older to attend Camp Counselor training
What will I do?
Camp counselor training is designed to provide the skills and knowledge needed to be an effective camp counselor and leadership team member. Counties and regions offering 4-H day camps and/or 4-H residential camps must provide appropriate level of counselor and staff training to ensure quality camping programs that incorporate experiential learning and key elements of positive youth development. Training topics include: role of camp counselor, camp theme and program development, recreation leadership, understanding ages and stages of youth development, group facilitation, conflict resolution, risk management, flag ceremony, song leading, campfire program, rainy day programs, outdoor environment and nature programming, and more.
- Level I: Training for first-year counselors.
- Level II: Training for advanced and returning counselors.
How much does it cost? How do I register?
Camp counselor trainings are planned and implemented by county and regional Extension staff to meet the needs in each area of the state. Contact your county office for details of when, where, cost and how to register for trainings available to you.
2014 camp counselor training
Southwest region, Morris
- Who: Returning and new counselors
- Where: Regional office, Morris
- Date: Saturday, March 29
- Time: Registration 8:16 a.m., end 6:34 p.m.
- Cost: $70 for senior counselors (9th grade and above), $50 for junior counselors (7th & 8th grades)
- Registration deadline: March 18
For more information contact Brian McNeill, 320-589-1711 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extension educator, Youth Development