Minnesota 4-H State Arts-In
Minnesota 4-H State Arts-In is an 8-day intensive arts experience. Youth prepare a musical to perform 3-4 times daily during the Minnesota State Fair. Each year, State Arts-In youth perform at least 40 shows to 12,000 audience members in the 4-H building on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
State Arts-In is about:
- Performing arts including singing, dancing, acting, instrumental accompaniment, costume design, set construction and technical work
- Leadership, goal-setting and teamwork
Participants continue to work on goals by putting on several daily performances, having leadership roles and acting as representatives for 4-H building visitors.
- State Arts-In show development - Aug. 10-17, 2017
- State Arts-In state fair show - Aug. 22 - Sept. 4, 2017
- Participant registration due June 23, 2017
- Assistant director applications due April 30, 2017
Who can participate?
Youth who have completed ninth grade up to one year past high school graduation can participate in State Arts-In. Anyone who registers will get to participate. All participants must be available and agree to participate the full week of the event.
Assistant directors are college-aged youth who have previously participated in State Arts-In.
What will I do?
This is an opportunity for you to:
- Experience first-hand life in the arts
- Learn new skills in the arts
- Observe and hear from professionals in the arts
- Live, work and build friendships with other teens and professionals in preparation for the Minnesota State Fair
State Arts-In show development
Development training involves intensive arts experience, leadership development, team building and lots of hard work. You are expected to stay at the 4-H building for the entire week.
State Arts-In show
The show begins two days before the fair starts and ends on the last day of the fair. You'll put on several productions daily and play a key role in the experiences of other 4-H members and 4-H building visitors attending the fair. You are expected stay on campus and be present for the duration of the fair with the exception of preapproved school-related absences.
State Arts-In assistant directors
If you are a college-aged youth who has previously participated in State Arts-In, this position is for you. You will be expected to attend all group sessions, plan activities, train on your focused area and serve as leaders to State Arts-In and 4-H state fair participants.
2017 participant cost will be $500. (Scholarships are available on an as-needed basis.)
Register in 4HOnline and pay (full or partial) by June 23, 2017.
- 4HOnline event registration instructions (PDF)
- Families without internet access can register using this printable registration form (PDF)
Apply by April 30, 2017 for first consideration.
State Arts-In leadership profile
Youth participants must complete a State Arts-In leadership profile.
- The leadership profile is available at this mobile friendly site http://z.umn.edu/artsin2017
- Youth without internet access can complete this printable leadership profile. (PDF)
Recommendation formYouth participants must request a recommendation from an adult who has knowledge of your experience and skills related to your State Arts-In area of interest. After identifying an adult, contact them with the following information:
- Your name and your State Arts-In area of interest (technical, performing, band or costume).
- Direct them to this link http://z.umn.edu/artsinrecommend or provide them with this printable recommendation form. (PDF)
Kirstin Delp, Minnesota 4-H state Arts-In director