Home > Gilts in the Breeding Herd
August 8, 2007
A free webcast titled “Bringing and Keeping Gilts in the Breeding Herd” was presented by University of Minnesota Extension and the Minnesota Pork Board on August 8th, 2007. The webcast was part of a quarterly series entitled “PorkCast Online Seminars” that provides management level research-driven information to pork production managers and owners.
The August 8th PorkCast program provided strategies and information on how to develop and manage gilts to maximize lifetime reproductive performance and longevity. Dr. Don Levis, Extension Swine Specialist with the University of Nebraska and national sow management expert, presented. Specific topics covered included:
- Gilt selection programs and criteria
- Growth rate and body condition during development
- Weight and age effects on attainment of puberty
- Methods and importance of boar exposure
- When to breed gilts
- Dealing with post-weaning sows that don’t cycle
PorkCast programs can be viewed from one’s computer, and pre-registration is not required. To view a pdf version of the presentation, click here.