Prairie Ecology Bus Center (PEBC)
Originally started as a mobile outreach program, the PEBC has been delivering outdoor natural resource programming to youth and adults using an innovative "tool" - the Ecology Bus. Recently the PEBC partnered with the City and County to acquire a shared use building. The SWP will assist the PEBC to make the PEBC portion of the space operational and allow the PEBC to develop its capacity to serve a wider audience and also better serve the community.
- University of Minnesota Staff
- Local County Extension Office
- Prairie Woods Environmental Learning Center
- Southwest Initiative Foundation (SWIF)
Funds are being sought in this next phase to create the infrastructure to allow for programs to take place. The furniture, equipment and displays will be employed for many years to come and will be a long-term investment for the project. Funds will provide for the following components with explanation of items/costs to follow.
- Tables (24) and Chairs (80) - $4000.00
- Bookshelves, Display Cases for exhibits, natural collections, storage - $3000.00
- SMART Board system - $6500.00
- Signage - $7500.00
- Development of marketing materials, website additions - $4000.00
- Design and development of eight major displays - $20,000.00
- Total Cost for Phase II of Project: $45,000
- Total RSDP Project Request: $30,000
Description of project items:
- Tables and chairs to outfit both classrooms.
- Bookshelves serve double duty as both a place to house reference materials and other resource books along with places to display natural collections and taxidermy mounts. For more fragile displays, enclosed display cases will be used. Currently, many items we use in programs are stored in closets as we haven't had space to have display cases to put them out for public consumption.
- SMART board systems are highly versatile teaching tools that lend themselves to a wide range of educational purposes. Having one set up in one of the classrooms will make the program space more effective and appealing for those presenters who depend on technology for their topic or where there is a need for interactive presentations. A ceiling mount projector with the system verses a portable one will be an efficient use of the space.
- Signage for both interior and exterior space will not only direct visitors to the classrooms when they arrive at the park but also provide for protected interior signs that can be easily updated with program information and events, volunteer opportunities, and current happenings at the PEBC.
- The PEBC will enlist in local expertise to develop the marketing materials and website additions that will be instrumental in getting the word out about this new education space and subsequent, expanded programming.
- The PEBC will seek input on eight thematic displays and consult with exhibit designers for low cost, effective designs to maximize limited space and budget. Displays are calculated at an average rate of $2500.00 each to include a development and materials. Exhibit design and procurement of hands-on exhibits is generally an expensive endeavor and the PEBC will continue to seek other resources to help us fully develop the display concepts. The amount requested through the RSDP would get the displays off to a great start and further funding will be sought in the interim to procure and create associated educational tools that can be use in programs and with the displays.
SWP- $30,000Last updated 1-12-2015