NW Tourism and Resilient Communities Work Group
The NWRSDP is committed to demonstrating sustainability in water, energy and transportation infrastructure; training and education to support a sustainable, regional economy; and strengthening social capital in communities. Facilitating sustainable tourism and recreation as well as the development and maintenance of sustainable community forms and infrastructure will further the impact we have on the communities we serve.
The NWRSDP board invites ideas that respond to the following priorities:
- Create a positive narrative for rural communities.
- Demonstrate sustainability in community economic development.
- Develop tourism projects, especially those focused on natural resources and cultural assets.
- Explore opportunities to prepare youth for entrepreneurship.
- Enhance and support leadership opportunities to build resilient communities.
- Increase the quality of place, health and safety conditions in which residents live in NW MN.
- Support research and outreach for visitation and tourism development.
Have an idea? Seed funding is available for projects that build robust community-University partnerships. Download this Project Idea Brief, share your idea, and submit it.
The NW Tourism and Resilient Communities Work Group meets regularly to review and develop ideas, consider proposals and build a network of partners to enable communities to flex and adapt to changing circumstances. To learn more about the demographics and economics in Northwest Minnesota, download the Resilient Communities Chapter from Visualizing Indicators - Affecting Change.
Work Group and Board meeting dates are posted on the calendar. Current Tourism and Resilient Communities Work Group Members are:
- Dave Bergman, Thief River Falls
- Rani Bhattacharyya, Crookston
- Nate Dorr, Bemidji
- Andrew Gag, Detroit Lakes
- Colleen MacRae, Crookston
- Gail Larson, Newfolden
- Cam Fanfulik, Warren
- Mike Triplett, Ada
- Kirsten Fagerlund, Crookston