NW Food Systems Work Group
The NWRSDP is committed to supporting projects that provide healthy food to nourish healthy people, grown in a healthy, sustainable environment, models and policies that make local food more available and accessible, and opportunities for farmers growing food for the region.
The NWRSDP identifies these strategies from the MN Food Charter (mnfoodcharter.org) as its priorities.
- Increase adults' opportunities to learn food skills. (p9)
- Strengthen community food assets including community gardens, seed banks, community kitchens, and CSAs. (p13)
- Provide a wider variety of food sources, especially in communities with few options for healthy foods. (p13)
- Increase investment in systems for season extension, season moderation, food preservation systems and technologies including financing and grants for growers. (p17)
- Encourage farmers to use farming practices that protect the health of people, animals, soil, water and air, and address climate change. (p17)
- Ensure adequate resources for public / private partnerships that support pollinator health. (p17)
- Create and offer training with a focus on food production and farm management skills. (p19)
- Support food policy councils at local, regional and state scales. (p19)
Have an idea? Seed funding is available for projects that build robust community-University partnerships. Download this Project Idea Brief, share your idea, and submit it.
The NW Food Systems Work Group meets regularly to review and develop ideas, consider proposals and build a network of partners interested in a food system that supports health. Work Group and Board meeting dates are posted on the calendar.
Work Group Members:
Bethany Brandvold, Crookston
Grace Brogan, Bemidji
Sheila Capstran, Ada
Kristen Fagerlund, Crookston
Abby Gold, Moorhead
Noelle Harden, Detroit Lakes
Megan Janssen, Crookston
Janet Lindberg, Fergus Falls
Terry Nennich, Bagley
Michele Schermann, St Paul
Greg Schweser, St Paul
Carsten Thomas, Moorhead
Frances Tougas, Warren
Sara VanOffelen, Detroit Lakes