Superior National Forest Scenic Byway Interpretive Plan
To complete an Interpretive Plan for the Superior National Forest Scenic Byway. The project sought to widen the experience of people visiting the Superior National Forest Scenic Byway, and enhance the communities along the Byway by creating useful designs and graphic information that would address issues of recreation, tourism, preservation and development along the route.
Northeast Regional Sustainable Development Partnership
- The City of Hoyt Lakes
- City of Silver Bay
- Toimi School
- Superior National Forest
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board
- Iron Range Tourism Bureau
- Silver Bay Area Tourism Association
- Arrowhead Regional Development Commission
- St. Louis County
- Lake County.
In March 2010 the SNFSB Council established a contract with a vendor to complete the SNFSB Interpretive Plan. However, work submitted by the vendor was rejected by the Council as inaccurate and any further work was deemed to be ineffective to meeting the goals of the project.
In August 2011 the contract was cancelled. In September 2011 the SNFSB Council re-solicited for another vendor for the project through the release of an RFP. In October 2011 the Council reviewed RFP responses and decided upon a new vendor to award the project to. Work on the project commenced in December 2011 and was to be completed by July 1, 2012.
Between December, 2011 and June 30, 2012 the Consultant worked in close collaboration with the Superior National Forest Scenic Byway Council to:
- Complete a byway orientation tour and assess the current state of the byway for interpretation-related challenges and opportunities.
- Develop interpretive themes.
- Develop recommendations for site-specific interpretation.
- Develop recommendations for character/graphic design of supporting interpretive material (such as kiosks, roadside signage).
The consultant produced the final Interpretive Plan document as required, meeting all specifications as per the Scope of Work in the RFP for the project.
$ 8,000Last updated 7-30-2012