Gravel Bed Nursery Demonstration
This project connects University research on increased survival, health and growth of trees planted in urban and rural settings to benefit reforestation, restoration and urban tree planting efforts in NE Minnesota.
- University of Minnesota Extension
- U of M Northeast Regional Sustainable Development Partnership
- U of M Department of Forest Resources
- Graduate and undergraduate students of Urban Forestry
- Local nurseries
- U of M Cloquet Forestry Center
- Boulder Lake Environmental and Learning Center (BLELC)
- Sugarloaf North Shore Stewardship Association
- Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center
Boulder Lake Environmental and Learning Center, Wolf Ridge Environmental and Learning Center and Cloquet Forestry Center have established demonstration gravel bed nurseries. At each of these locations workshops on the use of gravel bed nurseries and tree planting have been held. Sugarloaf North Shore Stewardship Association has sponsored five workshops on forest restoration where discussion on the use of gravel beds was included in the program. The North Shore Forest Collaborative sponsored one regional workshop where the use of gravel beds was featured. Additional workshops and individual meetings will be planned.
Installed gravel bed nurseries at Wolf Ridge, Boulder Lake and Cloquet Forestry Center. Held workshops on tree planting and gravel bed nurseries. So far we know of one person who is using the gravel bed concept for a community tree planting project and another who has secured materials to build a mini-gravel bed for restoration work.
$5,250Last updated 8-21-2013