University of MN Duluth Zero Contact Wind Turbine Installation
Installation of a novel 5kw wind turbine on UMD campus.
- UM Northeast Regional Sustainable Development Partnership
- UMD Facilities Management
- UMD Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department
- UMD Electrical and Computer Science Department
- UMD Department of Geography
- UMD Natural Resources Research Institute
- Campus Neighbors
- Hawks Ridge Bird Observatory
- Campus Visitors
- Future Force LLC
The first step is to purchase and install the 5kw wind turbine. Next, a monitoring system will be set up to track the power produced and calculate efficiencies. Selected UMD faculty and students will then engage in research, through the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program and Senior Design Projects, to advance the zero contact gearing system. Students will be trained to provide tours to the community and educate them about this new technology.
The project will determine and demonstrate the benefits of the zero gearing system. We will calculate turbine efficiency and carbon footprint, conduct an energy life-cycle analysis and document noise production.
$55,500Last updated 12-18-2014