Tourism In County Level Planning & Zoning
Assess if and how tourism is addressed in county-level policy documents (e.g. comprehensive plans) to inform future planning efforts. Specifically, work with a graduate student to collect and analyze documents from approximately 15 counties with high tourism volume in Central RSDP region. A content analysis will identify if and how tourism and recreation is intentionally cited or “accommodated” in the language (e.g., key words or phrases).
- University of Minnesota
- Community Members
- Visit Brainerd
- Little Falls CVB
- Explore Minnesota Tourism
- Collect and analyze examples of policy documents across multiple CRSDP counties/communities.
- Draft a publication / report.
- Educate community leaders and public employees about the importance of tourism and language in policy documents that supports tourism and recreation.
- Differentiate policy language that intentionally considers tourism sustainability.
- Community leaders and policy makers can modify policy document language to strengthen a community’s ability to seek grant funds or other tourism-related opportunities.
- Reduce potential tensions and foster stronger local relationships for tourism.
$15,000Last updated 12-23-2015