Tourism Assessment Program
This project facilitates and builds capacity among communities to assess local assets and determine how they might develop and sustain tourism opportunities.
- UM Extension Center for Community Vitality
- UM Tourism Center
- Form local community teams
- Local team conducts asset inventory, visits other communities, communicates with citizens and hosts expert team
- Expert team collects data, conducts interviews and facilitates community meeting
- Write report
- Identify action steps and evaluate project outcomes
- Implement action plan
- Provide post-project evaluation
- Increased understanding of the economic and social importance of tourism
- Increased community cohesion and sense of place
- Specific planning and development opportunities to inform planning.
Each community receives a report of the findings and is guided in a facilitated conversation to establish action steps to use the information.
- UM Extension Center for Community Vitality - $6,458
- UM Tourism Center - $7,000
- Community - $15,000