Minnesota Adult and Teen Challenge Gardens and Greenhouse Design
Research and develop and plan for the addition of an attached deep winter greenhouse on the MNTC campus.
- Battered Women's Shelter
- Boy Scouts
- Crow Wing County Master Gardeners
- Girl Scouts
- Happy Dancing Turtle Sustainable Living
- Junior Master Gardener Programs
- Port Group Homes
- St. Mathias Farms
- University of Minnesota
- Determine vegetable and fruit growing needs
- Garden site analysis
- Garden and amenities design
- Structure installation with clients
- Client prep and planting of orchard and MN native plants
- Client education, occupational/therapeutic benefits and potential employment support and enhance the clients' return to living as productive, responsible, and successful citizens.
- Supplement fresh produce in the dining facility for three meals daily onsite for 40-60 clients, providing healthier, tastier vegetables, fruits and herbs while lowering food service costs. Clients will participate in hands-on instruction of preparing produce for canning and preserving as well as the multiple uses of produce.
- Excess produce will be marketed locally to provide funds to help sustain the work study gardens, and a percentage of produce will be donated to area food shelves.
Project start date: 06/01/2014
Project end date: 12/31/2016