Sustaining Healthy Communities through Natural Resource Conservation in the Leech Lake Watershed
Actively engage local governments, citizens, lake associations and community leaders to collaboratively
protect water, woods and wildlife through land conservation and natural resource stewardship at the
individual and community level.
- Leech Lake Watershed Foundation
- MN Department of Natural Resources
- Conservation Fund
- Nature Conservancy
- Minnesota Land Trust
- Cass County
- Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe
- Assist lake associations in forming Sustainability Committees to identify land conservation opportunities around the lake and working with landowners to accomplish land protection goals.
- Conduct healthy shoreland workshops targeted at realtors, who are a first line of influence when land is purchased or developed. Provide realtors with the Shoreland Homeowners Guide to Lake Stewardship to present to clients purchasing shoreland property.
- Work with the North Central Lakes Collaborative to promote shoreland landscaping demonstration projects.
Initial workshops and printed materials have been prepared that provide information for individual shoreland property owners on good stewardship, including ways to curb pollution and reduce, capture and cleanse runoff. Workshops have also included information on land conservation practices and opportunities for conservation easements.
Central Region Partnership investment: $10,000 in FY2008
- $59,750 grants (MN Department of Natural Resources, Cass County, Leech Lake Watershed Foundation, Cass County Lake Associations)
- $30,750 in-kind services
- $37,500 cash and volunteer time for implementation of shoreland demonstration projects.