I already have the first version of Dollar Works. Do I need to purchase Dollar Works 2?
While Dollar Works 2 is based on the original Dollar Works curriculum, there have been significant updates and additions made to the original curriculum. Those who have the original Dollar Works would not have access to the four new units (Connecting Culture and Financial Resources, Saving and Investing, Managing Risk with Insurance, and Solving Consumer Problems) nor the evaluation components (including access to the new online system). Purchasing Dollar Works 2 would be money well spent to strengthen your financial education program.
What's the difference between the two curriculum item numbers (08503 and 08546)?
Item number 08503 is the "print-version" of the curriculum, which explains why it is slightly more expensive. All curriculum components arrive organized in a sturdy binder. In addition to the binder, this item number includes a copy of the Dollar Works Handouts CD which has print-friendly versions of all of the participant handouts (in Spanish and English). Item 08546 has all the same components as 08503 except it is all packaged on one easy-to-use CD (meaning no binder, no pre-printed materials, etc.).
Why would I use the enclosed Handouts CD (or "handouts" files on the CD-version of the curriculum) to make copies vs. making copies from the curriculum pages?
There are three reasons:
- Participants may be confused receiving copies with random page numbers that do not relate to the task at hand. There are no extraneous page numbers on the "handouts" versions.
- The "handouts" versions of files are centered, whereas the curriculum versions (particularly for the print-version of the curriculum) are off-centered to allow space for the binding.
- Since the curriculum versions are off-centered, some margins may be smaller than the allowable printer margin settings for your copy machine (margins may get cut off). Printing/copying the "handouts" versions should alleviate this problem.
Why would I want to purchase additional Dollar Works 2 Handouts CDs?
Purchasers of the print or CD-version of the curriculum have received one copy of the contents on the Dollar Works 2 Handouts CD. There are three reasons to purchase an additional one or more copies:
- The Handouts CD disc is lost and need a new copy is needed.
- More than one person in an office uses the curriculum; an additional copy of the Handouts CD allows more people access to the invaluable handouts at a fraction of the cost of purchasing an additional curriculum.
- A staff member other than the curriculum user prepares handouts (making copies, etc.) for programs.
How do I order a Dollar Works 2 product?
You can order Dollar Works 2 online here. If you do not have a credit card, you will not be able to place an order online. For alternatives to ordering online, click here.
Can I review the curriculum before I purchase it?
Due to the curriculum and shipping costs, we can not send out "review" copies. Portions of the curriculum can be reviewed by:
- Viewing a sample of the curriculum here.
- Participating in a Train-the-Trainer Workshop where the entire curriculum can be reviewed and discussed with one or more of the authors.
- Contact Rosemary Heins (763-767-3879; (email@example.com).
I see that Dollar Works 2 has been "culturally adapted." What do you mean?
Prior to revising the original Dollar Works curriculum, focus groups were conducted with Latino audiences to address the financial needs of this population group. Data from those focus groups as well as feedback from past users was analyzed and used to write and design Dollar Works 2. After completion, participant materials were translated into Spanish and reviewed/revised by a Latino staff member. English-sounding names were changed to Spanish-sounding names where appropriate. Lists of terms were designed to feature English and Spanish definitions side-by-side (accommodating bilingual individuals) and alternative terms were added (if different words are used in different Spanish-speaking countries) where necessary. An internet resource list for Spanish-speaking audiences was created and included in the curriculum Appendix.
Is Dollar Works 2 just for low income or low literacy audiences?
While all participant handouts are easy-to-use (intentionally written at a 5th grade reading level, being paired with a list of terms, etc.), anyone can benefit by the content contained in Dollar Works 2. The curriculum is based on the assumption that personal financial management is a set of skills that must be learned. Even individuals who are comfortable with the United States banking system may need some targeted help in building skills related to saving and investing, managing credit and debt, or managing risks. Dollar Works 2 is a complete and flexible personal financial education program that trainers can use in multiple ways to meet the needs of their audiences.
I see Dollar Works 2 has twelve units. Do I need to use all of the units with an audience?
The curriculum can be used in any order, with one or all of the units being utilized depending on the learner. Each unit is self-contained so that instructors can teach any unit in the curriculum by following the outline on the first page-beginning with the teaching goal and ending with the evaluation.
Do I need to attend trainings to be successful with the curriculum?
Even though the training can strengthen knowledge and increase comfort with using the curriculum, it is not necessary to attend training to be successful with the curriculum. The curriculum provides information and a variety of tools for creating a successful learning experience.
How do I sign up for a Dollar Works 2 training?
You can register online here.
How will entering my evaluation data into the Online System benefit me? Is it worth my time?
There are two benefits to you:
- By entering data, you will have the option to print out analyzed evaluation reports that are customized just for you. If you hold a series trainings, print out a report that summarizes all your trainings together. If several people in your organization do Dollar Works 2 trainings, you can print off a report that summarizes the trainings held in your organization (or your county, region, etc.). These reports can be an invaluable tool for seeking grants, surveying continued needs for programming, or in documenting your work for performance reviews.
- Within the Extension Center for Family Development, we will use the data that is entered to make improvements to Dollar Works 2. Being able to continually improve the program will give you a better overall product to use with your clients.
How do I get access to the Online Data Collection and Reporting System?
You can access the system here.
Who can I contact for more information on Dollar Works 2?
If you have additional questions or need additional information that is not provided on this site, please contact Rosemary Heins (763-767-3879; (firstname.lastname@example.org).
See the related program: Dollar Works 2