Rhizosphaera needle cast
- Infected needles turn brown or purplish brown late in winter or early spring
- Needles at the branch tips remain green, while older needles closer to the trunk of the tree become discolored
- Tiny black dots can be seen with a hand lens on infected needles
- Discolored needles fall off mid summer; tree looks thin and bare
- Damage typically starts on the lower branches and moves up the tree
- Most common on young Colorado blue spruce, but infects all spruces
- More information on Rhizosphaera needle cast...