Valsa leucostoma, Leucostoma spp.
- Sticky gum exudes from branch cankers
- Raised black pimple like fungal structures form on cankers and dead branches, exude orange tendrils of spores in wet weather
- Cankers are brown to black sunken areas on branch that may have cracked bark and discolored reddish brown sapwood
- Leaves on random branches wilt, turn yellow then brown
- Infected branches don't leaf out in spring
- Random dead branches seen throughout canopy
- Common on trees stressed by drought, winter injury, wounds, insect feeding or other factors
- More information on Branch cankers...