Cottony maple scale
- Excrete honeydew, a sticky, shiny material, on leaves and branches; sooty mold may also result from honeydew
- Young insects remove sap from leaves creating a speckled appearance and possibly yellowing leaves in mid to late summer
- Heavy infestations cause premature leaf drop and branch dieback
- Nymphs are brown-translucent, 1/5 inch; females lay eggs in the white marshmallow egg-sac along the twigs and small branches
- Silver maple is preferred host
- More information on Cottony Maple Scale...