Birch anthracnose or leaf spot
Cryptocline betularum, Discula betulina and others
- Infected leaves fall from tree even if still partly green
- Leaves on lower branches most affected
- Leaf spots may be 1/8th to 3/8th inch brown spots to large brown blotches surrounded by yellow tissue (C. betularum)
- Leaf spots may be 1/8th inch wide brown rings with a light center surrounded by yellow tissue (D. betulina)
- Common in years with wet rainy spring weather
- More information on Birch anthracnose...