Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Grass > Barnyardgrass
Echinochloa crus-galli (L.) Beauv.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Lawns and landscape plantings
- Annual grass that grows rapidly during warm weather (summer)
- Grows flat initially with stems gradually lifting upward to 2-3’ as it matures
- Base of plant is purple tinged even when young
- Leaf blade is hairless, flat, narrow at base, smooth to slightly rough to the touch
- Leaf blade has a thick mid-vein and has saw-toothed edges
- Flower heads are green, turning to reddish brown
- Seeds are rough with tiny bristles pointing toward the tip
- Maintain minimum 2 1/2 - 3” mowing height and good turfgrass density
- Can be a more serious problem in newly seeded areas especially when seeding is done in late spring through early summer
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.