Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Vining > Dodder
Cuscuta sp. L.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Landscape plantings, shrub borders, foundation plantings, and flower and vegetable gardens
- Twining, stem climbing, parasitic annual vine
- Yellow to reddish-brown, thread-like stems
- Stems develop suckers that penetrate host plant
- Leaves are very small and scale-like or absent
- Small yellow to white flowers
- Federal Noxious Weed that spreads rapidly forming large mats
- Parasitic plant with no roots; lives on nutrients from host plant
- Seeds may remain dormant in soil for several years
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.