Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Upright > Spotted Knapweed
Centaurea maculosa Lam.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Prairie plantings and low-maintenance turf areas
- Does well in poor, dry and sandy soils
- Biennial or short-lived perennial
- Grows as a low basal rosette of foliage the first year
- Subsequent years it grows into a bushy 2-3’ tall plant
- Leaves are narrow, fernlike with tiny hairs and arise alternately along stem
- Leaves are covered with translucent dots
- Bears many small, pinkish-purple, thistle-like flowers June through Aug
- Stout taproot
Plants that look similar:
- Cornflower (Bachelor’s buttons)
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.