Sweet corn > Leaves > Deformed or distorted leaves
1 of 3
- On ears, kernels swell into large pale green to silvery brown galls, up to five inches in diameter
- As the galls on ears mature, they turn purplish black and become spongy
- Powdery, black sooty spores emerge from cracked galls
- Raised, firm pale green to brown bumps form on leaves, stems and tassels
- More information on Corn Smut...
2 of 3
Corn Leaf Aphid
- Exude a sticky, shiny substance called "honeydew"
- Large numbers can occur on tassels
- Large numbers may cause curling leaves or yellow discolorations on the leaves
- Aphids are blue-green to gray and are small (1/8 inch or less), soft-bodied, and pear-shaped
3 of 3
Dwarf mosaic and maize chlorotic dwarf
- Leaves have light and dark green mottling or streaks
- Infected plants are stunted and may produce many tillers
- Plants may not produce an ear, or ear is poorly developed
- More information on Virus...