Yew > Needles > Reddish-brown needles
1 of 2
- Needles turn brown or purplish brown in late winter early spring
- Needles turn brown from tip down, needle base remains green
- Needles at the tip of the branch are more severely discolored than those close to the trunk
- Common in trees exposed to wind and sun, or from light reflecting off buildings
- Damage often only on one side of the tree
- Damage most severe at the top of the tree, branches covered by snow are unaffected
- More information on Winter injury...
2 of 2
- Needles turn brown from needle tip
- Branches and needles facing road are most severely affected
- Protection of branches and needles provided by snow cover so damage in these areas is not as severe
- More information on Salt damage...