Fir > Shoots/Branch tips > Wilted shoots
1 of 3
- New shoots fall over and wilt after a spring frost
- Older branches remain green and healthy
- Dead shoot may remain attached all summer; new shoots may grow next to them
- More information on Frost injury...
2 of 3
Growth regulator herbicide damage
(e.g. 2,4D or MCPP)
- Shoots may wilt or curl
- Needles stunted, twisted or misshapen but remain green
- If damage is severe, needles turn brown and fall off, branches may die
- Symptoms occur a few days to several weeks after herbicide application
- Dead or dying weeds expressing similar symptoms may be present nearby
- More information on Growth regulator herbicide damage...
3 of 3
- White foamy mass on twigs and needles May to early June
- Look within for small (up to ¼ inch), black and pale yellow nymphs
- Heavy infestations can flag and discolor shoots
- More information on Pine spittlebug...