Magnolia > Leaves > Leaves missing
1 of 1
Deer feeding/antler rubbing
- Long lines of shredded or peeled off bark along main trunk up to 3 feet off the ground from antler rubbing
- Feeding occurs from the ground up to 6 feet or slightly higher. Ragged edges, same as above, also if the bark is removed by a deer there will be no teeth marks
- Wood may appear shiny or "polished"
- Leaves and small branches (>1 inch diameter) cut off with a rough or ragged edge (Not a clean cut!)
- Damage is common only on young trees, old trees have thick bark and wide stem so are not used by deer for antler rubbing
- More information on Deer feeding/antler rubbing...