Hickory > Trunk/Branches > Unusual woody growth on trunk or branches
1 of 2
- Round woody growths, occur individually or in clusters on twigs or branches
- Galls range from pea-sized to 10 inches across
- Twigs and small branches may be girdled and killed by galls
- Trees with many galls may have reduced vigor
- More information on Phomopsis gall...
2 of 2
Perennial nectria canker
- Early canker symptoms are small and difficult to see, usually a darkened, depressed area forms on smooth, young bark
- Sunken round to oval cankers with target shaped ridges of barkless wood on large branches or main trunk
- Small dark sunken areas on twigs that can girdle or kill the branch
- Red to reddish orange raised cushion like bumps can occasionally be seen on the edge of the canker
- More information on Perennial nectria canker...