Hackberry > Leaves > Flecks, spots or blotches on leaves
1 of 5
Hackberry island chlorosis
Hackberry island chlorosis virus
- Angular yellow to white blotches or squares on leaves
2 of 5
- White or yellow speckled or pinprick discolorations on upper
- Lace bugs are up to 1/4 inch long; light colored bodies with dark colored spots; intricate, lacy wings
- More information on Hackberry lacebug...
3 of 5
Hackberry nipple gall
- Yellow discolorations on upper leaf surface above the nipple galls
- Circular, nipple-like swellings that project from the undersides
- Premature leaf drop can occur during heavy infestations
- Adults are light brown with flecks of creamish-white and look like miniature cicadas; 1/8th to 3/16th long
- More information on Hackberry nipple gall...
4 of 5
Cottony maple scale
- Young insects remove sap from leaves creating a speckled appearance and possibly yellowing leaves in mid to late summer
- White marshmallow egg-sacs along the twigs and small branches
- Honeydew, a sticky, shiny material, on leaves and branches
- Sooty mold may result from honeydew
- Heavy infestations cause premature leaf drop and branch dieback
- Nymphs are brown-translucent, 1/5 inch long
- More information on Cottony maple scale...
5 of 5
- Light green to yellow spots or blotches on leaves; spots turn brown with age
- Infected leaves may be puckered or distorted around spots
- White to gray fluffy mats form on leaf undersides in humid conditions
- More information on Downy mildew...