Elm > Leaves > Unusual projections on leaves
1 of 3
Elm finger gall
- Fingerlike galls are erect ½ inch from the leaf surface
- Gall on upper side of leaf, potentially curled and deformed
- More information on Elm finger gall...
2 of 3
Elm cockscomb gall aphid
Colopha ulmicola and C. graminis
- Aphid induces a 1 inch long by ¼ inch high wrinkled swelling on the leaf surface, irregular like a rooster’s comb
- Reddish at first but turning brown as the season progresses
- Found on American and red elm
- More information on Leaf galls...
3 of 3
- Larvae mine angular spots between leaf veins causing brown areas that can coalesce to complete browning in high infestations
- Create cigar-shaped cases out of leaf tissue and silk that hang from leaf underside
- Preferred hosts are American, red, and slippery elm
- More information on Elm casebearer...