Butternut > Trunk/Branches > Tiny to small holes in trunk or branches
1 of 2
Yellow bellied sapsucker
- Evenly spaced holes in main stem, approximately ¼ inch, arranged in a linear or columnar pattern
- More information on Yellow bellied sapsucker...
2 of 2
Flat headed apple tree borer
- ¼ inch oval-shaped exit holes present
- Older tunnels cause cracks in bark, froth oozes from openings
- Infested areas of tree show sunken, darkened areas of bark
- Larvae tunnel under bark of large branches and trunk
- Can cause dieback or entire tree can be killed, especially young trees
- Larvae is yellow with no legs
- Adult is ¼ to ½ inch long, flattened beetle, ranging from metallic brown to dull gray
- More information on Flat-headed apple tree borer...