Butternut > Trunk/Branches > Large, woody growth on trunk
1 of 2
- Round to irregular woody overgrowth or tumor at soil line or on roots
- Young galls are light green or white and soft
- Old galls are hard and dark colored or black
- Occasionally galls are seen higher on the stem
- More information on Crown gall...
2 of 2
- Large round to semi-circular swellings along main trunk or large branches
- Many buds of sprouts may be present on the exterior of the burl
- Common on sugar and Norway maples
- More information on burls...