Butternut > Nuts > Dark spots or blotches
1 of 2
- Larvae (maggots) feed inside the husk during mid-summer
- Larvae feeding causes husks to become slimy, dark and stick to the shell
- Do not harm nutmeat but fruit becomes unappealing and difficult to handle
- More information on Husk fly maggots...
2 of 2
- Leaflets have circular brown spots surrounded by yellow tissue
- Infected leaves turn yellow, then brown on the margins, curl and eventually fall off
- Dark brown to black spots or blotches form on nut husks
- Nuts drop prematurely
- More information on Walnut Anthracnose...