Thin apples for better harvests
Learn why, how, and when to hand thin apples.
In this Farmbyte, we're sharing:
- A video on hand-thinning apples
- Some great resources
- Simple Steps to Productive Apple Trees: Article from UMN Extension with simple instructions on how to hand thin apple trees along with recommendations on pruning, training, and fertilizing trees.
- A Grower's Guide to Organic Apples: Manual from Cornell University. See the “Crop-Load Management” section. Includes discussion on chemical thinning for organic growers.
- Midwest Fruit Pest Management Guide: From the Midwest Fruit Workers Group. Includes a section on chemical thinning for conventional growers.
- Thinning apple trees will improve size and quality of fruit and reduce alternate bearing.
- Hand thin apples when they’re ½ inch in diameter.
- Leave 1-2 apples every 6 inches.
Fill out my online form.