Pickled Dilled Beans
Boiling water bath
Pints, 10 minutes
- 4 lbs. fresh tender green or yellow beans (5 to 6 inches long)
- 8 to 16 heads fresh dill
- 8 cloves garlic (optional)
- ½ cup canning or pickling salt
- 4 cups white vinegar (5%)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. hot red-pepper flakes (optional)
Yield: About 8 pints
Wash and trim ends from beans and cut to 4-inch lengths. In each sterile pint jar, place 1 to 2 dill heads, and, if desired, 1 clove of garlic. Place whole beans upright in jars, leaving a ½-inch headspace.
Trim beans to ensure proper fit, if necessary. Combine salt, vinegar, water, and pepper flakes (if desired). Bring to a boil. Add hot solution to beans, leaving a ½-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.