Canning stewed rhubarb
An average of 10½ pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts. An average of 7 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A lug weighs 28 pounds and yields 14 to 28 quarts – an average of 1½ pounds per quart.
Select young, tender, well-colored stalks from the spring or late fall crop.
- Trim off leaves.
- Wash stalks and cut into ½ inch to 1 inch pieces.
- Add ½ cup sugar for each quart of fruit in a large saucepan. Let stand until juice appears.
- Heat gently to boiling.
- Fill jars without delay, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims.
- Adjust and process.
Process times and methods
- Boiling-water bath (hot-pack only): pints or quarts – 20 minutes
- Dial-gauge pressure canner: pints or quarts – 8 minutes at 6 PSI
- Weighted-gauge pressure canner: pints or quarts – 8 minutes at 10 PSI
Revised by Suzanne Driessen 2017