Extension > Food > Food Safety > Preserving and Preparing > Tomatoes and Salsa > How to Freeze Homemade Stewed Tomatoes
How to Freeze Homemade Stewed Tomatoes
- Wash, remove stem. Peel and quarter tomatoes before stewing.
- Heat rapidly until tender (10 to 20 minutes).
- Simmer five to ten minutes.
- Cool tomatoes quickly.
- Place container of tomatoes in ice cold water.
- When steam is gone, cover tightly, label and freeze. Use frozen tomato products within 12 to 18 months. Longer storage is safe but decreases overall quality.
Other Recommended Resources