Canning Fruit Puree
Note: this recipe should not be used for figs.
- Stem, wash, drain, peel, and remove pits if necessary.
- Measure fruit into large saucepan, crushing slightly if desired.
- Add 1 cup hot water for each quart of fruit.
- Cook slowly until fruit is soft, stirring frequently.
- Press through sieve or food mill.
- If desired for flavor, add sugar to taste.
- Reheat pulp to boil, or until sugar dissolves if added.
- Pack puree into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process.
- Boiling-water bath
- Pints or quarts – 20 minutes
See also: pressure canner process times for fruit.