An average of 16 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 11 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints–an average of 2½ pounds yields 1 quart.
Select firm, ripe, uncracked figs. The mature color depends on the variety. Avoid overripe figs with very soft flesh.
- Wash figs thoroughly in clean water. Drain. Do not peel or remove stems.
- Cover figs with water and boil 2 minutes. Drain.
- Gently boil figs in light syrup for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice per quart or 1 tablespoon per pint to the jars; or add ½ teaspoon citric acid per quart or ¼ teaspoon per pint to the jars.
- Fill jars with hot figs and cooking syrup, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process.
- Boiling-water bath
- Pints–50 minutes
- Quarts–55 minutes
Reviewed by Deb Botzek-Linn 2015