Courses and Certification
Choose the best option:
- In-person trainings are offered year-round and statewide. Textbooks and exams are available in several languages.
- Online training lets you learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you. Self-study programs use video, narration, activities and interactive exercises.
- As-requested courses can be provided for a group of at least 20 learners, depending on availability of trainers. Call 507-337-2819.
- Spanish courses may be available. Call 507-389-6732.
If you have difficulty registering for a course, or need more information on any Food Safety courses, contact Connie at (507) 337-2819 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Food Professionals and Staff
This course satisfies the education requirement for Food Manager Certification from the Minnesota Department of Health.
- In person – Includes the ServSafe® textbook, class materials, and 90-question exam.
- Online – Includes video, narration, animation, and interactive exercises. Price includes exam, which must be taken in person.
- Spanish – Meets certification requirements for Spanish speakers. The 90-question exam is in Spanish too.
Check out the online course!
Serve It Up Safely™, an award-winning training meets Minnesota's 4-hour continuing education requirement to renew your Food Manager Certification.
- In person – Includes Serve It Up Safely™ materials and certificate
- Online – Choose the modules you need. Interactive, using videos, quizzes, case studies, tip sheets and resources to download.
- Spanish – Same as English in-person course.
Food establishments are responsible for keeping food safe for their customers. All foodservice workers need BASIC food safety training.
- In person, as requested – The two-hour workshops provide interactive hands-on training. Offered for groups of at least 15, at site you provide, depending on availability of educators.
- Spanish – Available onsite for employers of Spanish speakers.
Check out the online course!
One-hour interactive web-based course teaches food handlers about food allergies and the important role they have to protect the health of customers
- Online – Approximately one hour of interactive activities, quizzes, and videos. Receive a certificate of completion.
For Home and Community
Learn about Minnesota’s safe food sampling at farmers' markets' legislation and food safety principles for vendors and food demonstrators to prepare and offer safe food samples.
- In person, as requested – Call to find out about upcoming workshops, or to sponsor one for your group.
Three courses: for seniors and caregivers; for children, parents and caregivers; and for special needs, in home or care settings.
- In person, as requested – Call to find out about upcoming courses, or to sponsor one for your group.
Quantity cooking requires different skills and knowledge. Volunteers learn about storage, safe cooling and cooking temperatures, and serving buffet-style.
- In person, as requested – Can be delivered for at least 20 people, at your site in a 3-hour format.
- Online – Watch a 15 minute presentation and print a leader's guide and handouts, for yourself or a group you will train.
If you prepare, preserve and process foods at home for you own use, learn food safety and food quality, including new hazards, food handling and processing methods.