Pickled Pepper-Onion Relish
Boiling water bath
Half-pints or pints, 10 minutes
- 6 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 cups finely chopped sweet red peppers
- 3 cups finely chopped green peppers
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 cups vinegar (5%), preferably white distilled
- 2 Tbsp. canning or pickling salt
Yield: About 9 half-pints
Wash and chop vegetables. Combine all ingredients and boil gently until mixture thickens and volume is reduced by one-half (about 30 minutes). Fill sterile jars with hot relish. (Sterilize empty jars by putting them in a water bath canner. Fill the canner and jars with hot [not boiling] water to 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Boil for 12 minutes. Remove and drain the hot sterilized jars one at a time.) Leave a ½ inch headspace, and seal tightly. Store in refrigerator and use within one month.
Caution: If extended storage is desired, this product must be processed 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.