Canning Spiced Crab Apples
- 5 lb. crab apples
- 4½ cups apple vinegar (5%)
- 3¾ cups water
- 7½ cups sugar
- 4 tsp. whole cloves
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- Six ½ inch cubes of fresh ginger root
Yield: About 9 pints
- Remove blossom petals and wash apples, leaving stems attached.
- Puncture the skin of each apple four times with an ice pick or toothpick.
- Mix vinegar, water, and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Add spices tied in a spice bag or cheesecloth.
- Using a blancher basket or sieve, immerse 1/3 of the apples at a time in the boiling vinegar/syrup solution for 2 minutes.
- Place cooked apples and spice bag in a clean 1 gallon food container and add hot syrup.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- Remove spice bag, drain syrup into a large saucepan, and reheat to boiling.
- Fill pint jars with apples and hot syrup, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process.
- Boiling-water bath
- Half-pints or pints – 25 minutes
National Center for Home Food Preservation. 2009. Selecting, Preparing and Canning Fruit. Spiced Crabapples
- Canning Sliced Apples
- Canning Spiced Apple Rings
- Canning Apple Juice
- Canning Applesauce
- How to Freeze Apples
- Make and Freeze Homemade Applesauce
- Making Apple Juice or Cider
Revised by Suzanne Driessen 2015