Canning Spiced Apple Rings
- 12 lb. firm, tart apples (maximum diameter, 2½ inches)
- 12 cups sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1¼ cups white vinegar (5%)
- 3 tbsp. whole cloves
- ¾ cup red hot cinnamon candies or 8 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. red food coloring (optional)
Yield: About 8 to 9 pints
- Wash apples. To prevent discoloration, peel and slice one apple at a time. Immediately cut crosswise into ½ inch slices, remove core area with a melon baller, and immerse slices in ascorbic acid solution.
- To make flavored syrup, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon candies, or cinnamon sticks and food coloring in a 6-qt. saucepan.
- Stir, heat to boil, and simmer 3 minutes.
- Drain apples, add to hot syrup, and cook 5 minutes. Fill jars (preferably wide-mouth) with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process.
- Boiling-water bath
- Half-pints or pints – l5 minutes
National Center for Home Food Preservation. 2009. Selecting, Preparing and Canning Fruit. Spiced Apple Rings