An average of 17½ pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 11 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 50 pounds and yields 16 to 25 quarts – an average of 2½ pounds per quart.
Choose ripe, fruit ideal for eating fresh or cooking.
- Wash and peel pears. Cut lengthwise in halves and remove core. A melon bailer or metal measuring spoon is suitable for coring pears. To prevent discoloration, keep pears in an ascorbic acid solution.
- Prepare syrup (see preparing and using syrups) or pack in apple juice, white grape juice, or water.
- Boil drained pears 5 minutes in syrup, juice, or water.
- Fill jars with hot fruit and cooking liquid, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process in boiling water.
- Pints - 25 minutes
- Quarts - 30 minutes
See also: pressure canner process times for fruit.
Revised by Suzanne Driessen 2016