University of Minnesota Extension
Menu Menu

Extension > Food > Farm to School > Minnesota Toolkit for School Foodservice > Sourcing Food > Sourcing Bison

Sourcing Bison

Regulations on Buying Bison Directly from Farmers

Minnesota state laws require that farmers selling meat to retail grocery stores, restaurants, or foodservices must have the meat processed at a USDA or state "Equal-to" facility. Farmers are not required to have a food handler's license if they are selling plain cuts of meat from their own animals. If they sell a mixed product with additional ingredients such as sausage or hot dogs, they must have a food handler's license. See Finding Local Food for databases and directories of local producers.

Fact Sheet for Buying Meat and Poultry (1.4 MB PDF)

Food Buying Guide Specifications

Reference: Food Buying Guide for Child Nutrition Programs; U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service

Food As Purchased (How the Product Can Be Purchased)

Purchase Unit(How You Should Order the Product)

Servings per Purchase Unit
(How Many Servings You Will Get Per Purchase Unit)

Serving Size per Meal Contribution
(For Each Meal Component Category)

Amount Needed to Buy of the Purchase Units for 100 Servings

Additional Information
(AP =
As Purchased)

Bison, Chuck Roast, Fresh or Frozen,  
Without Bone,
Practically Fat



1 oz. cooked meat


1 pound AP = .63 pounds cooked lean meat

Bison, Hotdogs
  8 per pound



2 oz. Hotdog



  • © 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy