Farm to School Month
October is National Farm to School Month, a time to celebrate the connections that are happening all over the country between schools and local food! Whether you are a foodservice professional, a farmer, a teacher, or a food-loving family, there are plenty of ways to celebrate and get involved.
Save the Date for Farm to School Month 2016
Download the postcard above or create your own with these files:
The MN Thursday logo was created by Kollin Leisinger, Minneapolis Public Schools Culinary & Nutrition Services Graphic Artist.
Join the Celebration
Check out the multiple Farm to School Month opportunities below and decide what works for you and your community. Each event includes numerous resources to support your success.
- Get your crunch on. Participate in the third annual Great Lakes Great Apple Crunch at noon on Thursday, October 13. Sign up to receive free stickers and a copy of the 2016 Crunch Guide to help you plan, carry out, and share your celebratory crunch: Register for the Great Lakes Great Apple Crunch!
- Source local. Join schools across the state in kicking off Minnesota Thursdays with a special Midwest Menu: serve a local chicken and apple, along with a veggie and whole grain of your choice on October 6.
- Interested in doing Minnesota Thursdays on the first Thursday of every month? — Check out menus and promotional posters from Minneapolis Public Schools here: Minnesota Thursdays
- Share resources. The National Farm to School Network has resources for your school and community, available for free or for sale on their website. Visit their Farm to School Month web page to download and share posters, stickers, a communications toolkit, and blog posts highlighting farm to school work across the country.
Spread the Word
Here are two ways you can help get the word out about Farm to School Month.
- Follow the National Farm to School Network on Facebook and Twitter and share their messages.
- Use these hashtags in your social media messages:
Farm to School: Growing Our Future — This 30-minute documentary explores the economic advantages and remaining challenges for businesses, farms, schools, and communities as we work together to improve our children's health and education.
I Dig My Farmer — Institute on Agriculture and Trade Policy — Use this promotional package with customizable materials to feature and celebrate local farmers and their products.