Benefits of Farm to School
Farm to School initiatives are known to:
- Promote healthy eating habits and reduce risk of obesity and other health related disorders in children.
- Provide children access to local, healthy and nourishing foods.
- Facilitate education about nutrition, food, and agriculture in and out of the classroom.
- Increase school meal participation rates.
- Open up new markets and increase revenues and customer base for farmers.
- Develop community support and awareness about local food systems.
Farm to School Happens in the Cafeteria, Classroom and Community.
There are many ways to get involved in Farm to School initiatives. For example, schools may:
- Serve local food at breakfast, lunch, or during snack time.
- Incorporate school gardens or food preparation within classroom lessons.
- Feature local foods in healthy school fundraisers.
- Engage students in trips to the farm or farmer presentations.
- Establish composting and waste management programs.
The Benefits of Farm to School — National Farm to School Network — Discover the many benefits of partnering schools with local farms.