Extension > Family > Supporting Farm Families > Supporting Agricultural Workers from Mexico: Balancing Work and Family Demands > Unit 2: Understanding Family Life of Migrant Latino/a Workers
Unit 2: Understanding Family Life of Migrant Latino/a Workers
This unit will help employers:
- Understand the complex lives of workers from Mexico.
- Identify their employees’ needs and situations, including:
- The complex nature of family care across countries.
- Communication/language challenges.
- Culture challenges.
- Financial needs (advance payment, short-term loan, etc.).
- Reasons employees are in the United States, e.g., a strong need for money to care for parents in their home country, and/or a lack of work opportunities in their home country.
Lesson time: 30 minutes
Download these materials for this lesson:
Watch these videos:
- The Decision to Leave (03:53; 48 MB WMV)
- Leaving the Family Behind (04:14; 36 MB WMV)
- Balancing Family with Job Responsibilities (05:21; 41 MB WMV)