Positive Discipline: A Guide for Parents
Positive Discipline: A Guide for Parents is an easy-to-read, easy-to-use booklet that:
- Looks at common parenting challenges from birth through the early elementary years.
- Gives parents ways to address behavior using positive discipline techniques to guide and teach their child(ren).
- Empowers parents with strategies that really work.
Accessing the Booklet
University of Minnesota Extension is no longer printing and selling hard copies of the Positive Discipline: A Guide for Parents booklets. Instead, you can access the PDFs of the available booklets from this website, and print or share them as needed.
The booklet is available in the following formats:
- English — Positive Discipline: A Guide for Parents (1.4 MB PDF)
- Spanish — Enseñando a crecer: Una guía para padres y madres (1 MB PDF)
- Hmong — Txoj Kev Pab Rau Cov Niam Txiv Cob Qhia Kom Me Nyuam Coj Zoo (363 K PDF)
- Somali — Tarbiyeynta Wanaagsan: Hagaha Waalidka (410 K PDF)
Customizing the Booklet
You can partner with us to customize and print the Positive Discipline: A Guide for Parents booklet for your organization. We can:
- Add your organization’s logo and contact information.
- Customize the list of resources that is in the booklet.
- Swap in different photos to make the booklet more appealing for your audience.
- Make other customizations as desired.
Parenting for School Success: A Guide for Parents — Access this handbook which gives parents practical ideas on supporting school success.
Guidelines for Settings Consequences — Use these guidelines to select effective consequences for your child.
Using 'Time Out' as a Discipline Tool — Follow these guidelines to select effective and get ideas for other discipline tools to consider.
Using Natural and Logical Consequences — Get step-by-step instructions for using natural and logical consequences and see examples of this strategy in action.