Planning Ahead for Retirement
Sharon M. Danes, Extension Specialist and Associate Professor — Family Social Science
Revised May 2013 by the author.
This 80-page guide is loaded with easy-to-understand information and activities to help you plan the retirement you want. It will help you:
- Estimate the income you will need in retirement.
- Understand financial products related to retirement.
- Make wise investment choices by outlining advantages and disadvantages of many saving and investment products.
- Decide whether or not you need a financial planner and how to hire one.
- Understand how Medicare, health insurance, and life insurance can protect you against risks.
Download the complete publication (9.4 MB PDF) or click on a link below for individual chapters.
- Introduction (368 K PDF)
- Chapter 1: More than Money Decisions (1.2 MB PDF)
- Chapter 2: Will You Be Able to Afford the Life You Want? (1 MB PDF)
- Chapter 3: Developing Income Sources (1.1 MB PDF)
- Chapter 4: Saving and Investment Options (1.2 MB PDF)
- Chapter 5: Should You Hire a Financial Planner? (1.3 MB PDF)
- Chapter 6: Protecting Against Risks With Health and Life Insurance (1.4 MB PDF)
- References and Resources (374 K PDF)